Top 10 Things Every Writer Should Know (Geoffrey Philip)

10. It’s All About You.

9. Stop Waiting for Stories to Happen
“Comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable.” ~ Finley Peter Dunne

8. Listen!
“When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.” ~
Ernest Hemingway

7. Find a Mentor
“Each sentence should make a clear statement. It should add to the statement that went before….Avoid the abstract. Always go for the concrete….Every day, for six months at least, practice writing in this way. Small words; short, clear, concrete sentences.”
~ V. S. Naipaul

6. Read!
William Faulkner says it best:
“Read, read, read. Read everything - trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You’ll absorb it. Then write. If it’s good, you’ll find out. If it’s not, throw it out of the window.”

5. Whom Do You Serve?

4. Use All Your Talents

3. Synergize
“Synergy means the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The relationship which the parts have to each other is a part in and of itself - the most empowering, unifying and exciting part.” ~ Steven Covey

2. Surrender
“Art is nothing but the expression of our dream; the more we surrender to it the closer we get to the inner truth of things, our dream-life, the true life that scorns questions and does not see them.” ~ Franz Marc

1. It’s Not All About You
George Bernard Shaw said:
“This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy… I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can….I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations”

Comentarios

Rodrigo SA ha dicho que…
listen, always listen... keep listening... and remember stories are not suppsed to be waited, just do them

Entradas populares